Shaz's Ostomy Pages Message Board - HOME  

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Please note that we are not doctors and therefore, cannot tell you what you should or shouldn't do or what is best for your situation. Instead, we are fellow ostomates who can give you friendly advice and will support you in any way we can, based on our own experiences. Any advice given is given in good faith and is the experience of the particular poster only and the board, and it's members, cannot be held responsible for the outcome... Shaz

Please register with the board by clicking on the Register link so that you can keep track of new postings.
Note: Once you have entered all your details, allow 24 hours so your registration can be confirmed.
This is done manually to try and avoid spammers.
Before this time you will not be able to post, however, we will confirm your registration as soon as we are able
so please be patient with us.

If I happen to ban you inadvertently, I'm sorry, just email me at shaz@ostomates.org and I'll make you a registered member :)

Remember: Five postings or more and you're automatically eligible to join us in the Games Arcade (just click on the Arcade link at the top of the board). However, if you have yet to reach five postings and want access, just leave a message in the Games Arcade forum on the board and I'll add you :)

BTW, The boards are intentionally in big print so that those amongst us who, for whatever reason, have problems seeing smaller print, can see the board, so please don't complain that the board is in larger print than you'd like, thanks :)

Go Back   Shaz's Ostomy Pages Message Board - HOME > General > Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Archives A READ ONLY section of archived posts. Topics cover: LEAKS and SKIN CARE ~ BAGS and APPLIANCES ~ SHOWERING and SWIMMING ~ ODOUR ~ BLOCKAGES ~ FOODS ~ EMOTIONS ~ PRE-OP and SURGERY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th April 2008
Hang in there!

Lori can be rather helpful at times
Default Fertility after surgery

Posted by: nelliestar Posted on: May 7th, 2007, 2:46pm Hi Guys!
Has anyone any info/personal experience on concieving after ileostomy surgery, problems within the abdomen due to adhesions that would prevent pregnancy, impact on fertility of having surgery. This is for my future reference but it has been playing on my mind a lot recently possibly due to the fact that we are planning our wedding and looking to the future. Physically i have never been so healthy since i had the surgery but i do worry. Help/info/experiences needed! Thanks,hugs, Nell xxx

Posted by: Jessi Posted on: May 7th, 2007, 8:52pm I didn't have any problems getting pregnant after my surgery, it was almost 2 years after surgery that we started trying and I got pregnant in a few months. I did have a miscarriage, but don't think it had to do with anything. I got pregnant again after that as soon as I was allowed to try again....my baby is going to be 3 next month!!

My surgeon told me before surgery that I shouldn't have any problems from the surgery. Obviously there could have been other issues, but I don't have any as far as I know. I didn't have any problems with my belly getting big, though I don't have any adhesions as far as I know and I didn't get huge. I luckily only gained about 30 lbs, which was just right for me.

if you have any other questions let me know, I'd be glad to answer. Oh and I have have an ileo due to UC

Posted by: benok Posted on: May 7th, 2007, 11:20pm My cousin who is a colostomate also got pregnant.

The doctor's order was quite simple " complete bed rest especially in the delicate latter stages of pregnancy." She really had to obey this eventhough how she felt restless and wanted to move around. My nephew is already 4 years old and has been very naughty. Good luck!

Posted by: reresunshine Posted on: May 8th, 2007, 5:34pm Hi,
A lady in my Ostomy support group had three children after her ileostomy surgery. She had no problems she said and they have all grown up to be wonderful young adults....btw she is now 77 years young!

Annmarie

Posted by: nelliestar Posted on: May 9th, 2007, 4:07pm Thanks for those replies xxx

Posted by: Jessi Posted on: May 10th, 2007, 7:35am I thought I would add....I didn't have any bedrest, I worked up until I went into the hospital, I actually called in sick to work that day because I was supposed to work one more week.