PDA

View Full Version : Iron Supplements

LisaAnn
28th September 2008, 10:59 PM
Does anyone with an ileostomy take iron supplements? My primary doctor said that my iron was low and to start taking ferrous sulfate (iron) to help raise my levels. I have 2 main questions:

1) Will the iron be absorbed or will the pill just pass through me? I average about 4 to 6 hours for food to go from mouth to bag.

2) Are there any side effects from taking the iron?

Thanks in advance...

Harris
28th September 2008, 11:13 PM
I think your doctor wouldn't perscribe it if he didn't think you would obsorbe it.

SIDE EFFECTS: May cause stomach cramps, constipation, heartburn, nausea, and vomiting the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication. Iron can cause the stools to turn black in color. This is due to unabsorbed iron and is not harmful. Inform your doctor if you develop: severe stomach pains, chest pain, clammy skin, bluish-colored lips or fingernails. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist. Other side effects stay away from the refrigerator door all the magnets will stick to you.... no just kidding

Patty G.
29th September 2008, 12:37 AM
I found Nature's Maid online which says it is an "easy absorption" formula.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QGKHQA/ref=nosim/?tag=prontocom21220-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B000QGKHQA&linkCode=asn

flemmart
21st October 2008, 11:33 AM
Also, liver supplements found at vitamin shopps naturally contain, protein, iron, and are easy on the stomach. Unless you need a vegetarian formula....

ArisGirl
21st October 2008, 02:00 PM
I, too, have very low iron levels and have needed to take an iron supplement for years. The best one that I have found is a powder in a soft capsule that dissolves really quickly so I don't have to worry about passing a whole pill. Food moves through me in about three or four hours, so I have to be really careful with pills.

Anyway! The pills I take can be found in most heath food stores. They are made by Carlson and are called "Blood Nutrients". One pill per day with food helps keep the levels up. www.carlsonlabs.com is their website and they really do have a wonderful product. Check it out if you like. They also make a number of other supplements in various different forms (liquid, soft capsules, etc.) with specifications such as sugar-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, etc.

Blessings! -Kelly

Micki
21st October 2008, 06:33 PM
I think rather than worry about a side effect I would worry about the negative effects from not taking it if your iron is low. Our bodies have such a large chemical makeup and the risk of not taking things like iron, salt, potassium, etc. is way greater than the side effects. If you are worried about the pills check with the pharmacist about liquid. My husband, no ostomy but a huge host of other problems has to take iron everyday. I think one of the largest side effects for some is constipation, but that shouldn't be a problem in your case perhaps.

ArisGirl
24th October 2008, 12:20 PM
LOL - Every time a pharmacist warns me that the med I'm taking "might cause constipation" I laugh at them because, in my case, all it will do it thicken it up a bit. No harm there! Drymouth is another fun one. They say, be sure to drink lots of water. I'm already drinking enough fluids to float a small boat!!!

Blessings! -Kelly

lacemaker
24th October 2008, 09:14 PM
i have to take iron, potassium and salt 3 times a day each

Terry G
25th October 2008, 05:00 PM
The British National Formulary (The prescribing guide for all UK doctors) has the following to say in section 1.8 - 'Stoma Care' It says:-
"Iron preparations may cause loose stools and sore skin in these patients. If this is troublesome and if iron is definitely indicated an intramuscular iron preparation (see section 9.1.1.2) should be used. Modified-release preparations should be avoided for the reasons given above."

So there you have it! If you have problems with ferrous sulphate, or other iron preparations, you may need intramuscular injections.

Terry